FREE SHIPPING ON THIS KIT FOR A LIMITED TIME (within Canada ONLY)
Do you need some slow stitching for its wonderful therapeutic value?
Do you want some lovely one-of-a-kind smocked holiday decorations and tree ornaments? Add beads to the smocking stitches for a festive look?
Then this class is for you!
Liz has been smocking since her daughter was not much taller than knee height! She has always loved the look of hand smocked dresses, rompers (or balloons); Christmas tree ornaments and table decorations. Whatever could be smocked...... got smocked!
Join a pre-recorded class with Liz to master just a few basic hand embroidery stitches on pleats to be able to make some unique and special holiday items. You will have kit supplies to make TWO sets of smocked items. Please note that you will not be making ornaments exactly like the ones in some of the photo's. You will learn to make one simple ball and a Christmas cracker and then make another set with the rest of the kit supplies.
The tree ornament you will be making is the white one with beads. The other pics are just showing other ornaments you can make later. something similar to the green ball. I will include smocking design plates for 2 different Christmas cracker designs with beads as well as a lovely ball ornament designs. These are all designed and smocked by me exclusively for this class. I refer to the 2 crackers in blue & white and red, green and white as well as the white round ball with pearl bead smocking - the first 3 pics.
Additional kits with pre-pleated fabric for more balls and crackers will be available for purchase. These will need to be ordered so please allow a little time for their preparation.
There are loads of hints and tips to share with you as you master the technique.
Included in the registration fee:
- Kit with pleated cotton fabric ready to stitch; a selection of stranded embroidery threads, smocking needles, beads and smocking design plates to follow. You will have supplies in the kit to make 2 hanging ornaments and 2 Christmas table crackers. Shipping of the kit within Canada is FREE. Please email us for extra shipping charges if you are not a resident of Canada.
- Book: "Smocking for pleasure" by Madeline Bird and Margie Prestedge. (96 pages. This was the book I used as my smocking "bible" - it is excellent)
- Comprehensive PDF notes on Smocking for beginners.
- In addition: Support and assistance with questions arising from the content of this class is ongoing after the class on a private Facebook Group.
- Additional items you will need for this class are: a pair of sharp embroidery scissors; good lighting & your glasses (if you require those for close work); plus a willingness to learn a new skill! Everything else you need for this basic smocking class will be in your kit (which will be mailed to you free of charge).
A wide range of smocking books, magazines, patterns and design plates will be available on our website should you wish to purchase additional materials.
Additional classes on hand smocking and heirloom sewing by machine may be offered at a later stage if there is a demand:
- Intermediate Bead smocking - deluxe Christmas ornament.
- Ribbon smocking
- Flower Power (embellishing your smocking with flowers and leaves);
- The "forgotten" smocking stitches
- How to smock and construct a bishop (round neck) garment
- Counterchange or pleaterless smocking
- And Heirloom (French) Sewing by machine.
Queries are welcome to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the Chat box here on my website.